Preventative Dentistry Saratoga
Preventative dentistry is the area of dentistry aimed to help people prevent oral disease and its further development. Preventative dentistry includes not just in-office dental care, but at-home treatments as well.
Some examples of at-home treatments include:
- Regular brushing – the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing two times a day and directly after meals, when possible.
- Regular flossing – the ADA recommends flossing at least once a day.
- Rinsing with anti-bacterial mouth wash – recommended after each brushing
Some examples of preventative dentistry you might receive in-office include:
- Prophylaxis (cleaning of the teeth- removes built up calculus (plaque).
- Inspection of the teeth, mouth, and gums- using visual and tactile exams, x-rays, and oral cancer screening, the overall health and presence of oral cancer can be revealed.